Outline, Vision and Basic Policy of JFMDA
Outline of JFMDA
The Japan Federation of Medical Devices Associations (JFMDA) was founded in February 1984 by fifteen associations engaged in the development, production and distribution of medical and health-care devices, equipment, instruments and materials. Since then, JFMDA has been addressing various national and international issues related to all its member associations. By taking appropriate actions on these issues, JFMDA has contributed to the growth of the industries it represents and to the improvement of welfare and health care in Japan.
Most companies of medical devices in Japan now face drastic changes due to various societal shifts, such as the increasing number of elderly people, changing trends in morbidity, increasing medical expenditures, technological innovation, and internationalization of human activities. To respond to these changes, JFMDA has been conducting promotional activities based on medium-term and long-term perspectives.
The four main functions of JFMDA are as follows:
(1) Government Relations
JFMDA maintains close contact with the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW); the Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency (PMDA); the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI); and other government agencies, playing the role of a liaison office between the government and the concerned associations.
(2) Information Services
JFMDA collects related information and documents, holds lectures and seminars to provide updated information to members, and carries out public relations activities.
(3) Study and Research Activities
JFMDA establishes its own meetings, standing committees, research committees, and study groups whenever required, addressing various industry-related issues in response to the needs of member companies and government agencies.
(4) International Affairs
JFMDA investigates standards/regulations, promoting mutual recognition and other harmonization activities.
JFMDA initially consisted of 15 associations (representing about 3000 companies). At present, membership has increased to 20 associations (representing about 5000 companies), while over 130 individual companies are registered as supporting members approved sponsoring JFMDA's activities. JFMDA is thus playing an increasingly important role as a liaison between industries and government agencies, and is expanding its scale and activities.
Vision of JFMDA
The improvement of the presence of Medical Devices Industry
- ♦ Providing the latest medical technology quickly to the medical professionals and patients.
- ♦ Ensuring further safety of medical devices.
- ♦ Increasing global competitiveness by the development of new medical devices and technologies.
Basic Policy of JFMDA
(1) Strengthening the ability of policy proposal
The proposal to the medical devices policy grounded on the importance and diversity of medical devices under the development of modern medical care
- ♦ Preparing the environment toward the acceleration of development of new medical devices
- ♦ Establishing the pharmaceutical jurisprudence and medical insurance system in conformity with the characteristics and the actual condition of medical devices
- ♦ Promoting establishment of the office for the medical devices in the government.
- ♦ Founding the education and training system for medical device professionals
(2) Improving the acknowledgment level of medical devices
- ♦ Dispatching information concerning contribution of medical devices
- ♦ Promoting the understanding of safety of medical devices to a citizen
(3) Accelerating globalization
- ♦ Promoting global harmonization
- ♦ Increasing information exchange for overseas deployment